Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Aussie Money

They have all the same denominations as we do for paper money except there are no $1 bills. They have $1 and $2 coins instead which are the gold coins you see in the pics. The coins also have a .50, .20, .10, and .05 cent... no pennies. If you buy something that is $10.01, then you only pay $10. If you buy something that is $10.03, then you pay $10.05. So, they round to the nearest .05 cent piece.



The first day we got into Canberra, we had our shuttle driver stop by the bank on the way to the hotel we are staying at. We needed to exchange some cash into Australian dollars. When we both walked in, we stopped and looked at eachother and then I said, "Do you feel retarded, like you don't know what to do?" And Jer just started laughing as he mumbled "yes". The banks just look different and they have a different flow to them. Any way, the lady that exchanged our money gave us cash and then coins that equalled $3.90. After we got back to the hotel I looked over at Jeremy and said, "Hey, I will give you all the change I have if you can tell me HOW this adds up to $3.90" and he just started laughing.

I had never seen Australian Money until we got here (obviously since I didn't even know how to count it). But, I've got the knack of it now. ;)

The money is pretty and very colorful. I never really feel like I have real money. I should've put that down on "Why this is a Yellow country" --- colorful money.

No comments:

Post a Comment