Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Australian Language Lesson #1

When we got to the airport in Sydney, we had to get all of our bags and luggage from the baggage area and re-check them all for our flight from Sydney to Canberra. It took forever with the Visa problems with Steffan. We had to do this because they didn't have a connecting flight from Delta all the way from SLC to Canberra and we had to book 2 flights to get here.

Anywho... So, when we were almost done checking our bags I asked the lady what we do with the baby's car seat because it sounded like she said we need to check it and carry the baby on. Normally they just check it right before you get on the plane along with the strollers. So she pointed and told me something and I didn't understand anything she said. Since Jeremy looked like he got it, I just said 'OK' and thanked her. I looked and Jeremy and said, "what do we do?" and he said, "I don't know, you didn't understand her?" Ugh... I had to ask her again. And after she explained it to me again I said, "I'm sorry, can you tell me one more time." which she did and then I said, "Oooooooooooohhh Ok." (as if I then had some epiphany of understanding) but still had no clue. So Jeremy asked her again and then we ran around with her correcting us as we still did the wrong thing until we got it right. How embarassing... So this is a small example of how we are still learning to speak Australian.

No comments:

Post a Comment