Wednesday, April 3, 2013

One Year Old Mystery.... Solved!

When we first moved here, I had a really hard time understanding many things because I was obviously not accustomed to the Aussie accent yet. We bought a car from a guy named 'Bob'. . . I needed to call him one day and called and asked if "Bob was there". We had been there numerous times and I was 150% sure his name was 'Bob'. The owner had answered the phone and kept saying, "Huh? We don't have a Bob here. Is Bob male or female?!" I was so confused!! I kept saying, "BOBBBB!" louder and louder (obviously being louder would surely help). He kept saying, "Are you sure you have the right car lot?" I was looking at the photo next to their phone number on line and read the address out loud to him and he confirmed that I'd called the right place. My mom was with me at the time and I kept looking over while she was laughing at me. I covered the phone and said, "What am I saying wrong?" After a couple more minutes of this 'hoo-ha', he said, "Ooooohhhhh, you mean Bob! Let me get him."

Me: uhhhhhhhhhhhh

I was telling this to our friend Jared the other night and he said, "Don't you hear what you said?" I looked at him with the same question I had a year ago and said, "Um, no." Then Jared explained that when I said "Bob" it sounds like how Australian's say, "BARB" as in Barbara. Duhhh! Ok, got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment