Monday, February 25, 2013

Happy 80th Birthday Honey Pat

Happy Birthday to my Grandma who just turned #80! (FYI - My kids call their grandmas "Honey" because Teagan started doing that after he heard Jeremy's dad always calling his mom "Honey" and it has just stuck.) My family had a big party to celebrate and family flew in from all over to be there. I was sooooo bummed that I missed it and wish we could've been there. My mom and aunt put together a little program for her and asked my boys to sing a song that my grandma used to sing to me when I was little. It's an old LDS church primary song that I've never heard except for from my grandma. It's called Little Brother Vegetable. She used to sing it to me to get me to eat my vegetables. Here are my grandma's words of her memory of this song.

“That was one of my favorite songs learned in primary many years ago. I remember it very clearly because of the way the chorister introduced the song. She had one of the Primary boys all dressed up like a carrot and sitting a in a little tub. There he sat just grinning at us from under his green carrot top hat. I thought it was so funny! I finally recognized the carrot as being Dickie Lambert, a boy that lived just through the block from us. We eagerly learned the song after that introduction. We sang it for years and years. Later when I had children of my own, I used to sing this song to them to help them more readily eat their vegetables. It worked!”

Here are the words to it:
Little brother vegetable sat within a dish,
Cooked and seasoned spicily as you’d ever wish.
Said little brother vegetable just you look at me,
I’m the food of hidden treasure, eat me and you’ll see!

And here are the queue cards we used to hold up as my kids sang it. The art was especially done by muahh. :) I know, I know, it's a-mazing. lol
 



Now, I thought this was going to be an easy take because we practiced it first and everyone did great! I should've been filming the practice because it didn't go as smoothly after that...

Enjoy! Here is the final video:
*The first 30 seconds just shows what the DVD menu looks like. The boys all have stickers on their heads and they light up when you go to each chapter. :)

3 comments:

  1. Your boys are SO cute!! I just loved the video and it got lots of laughs at the party! Your mom did an AMAZING job with the food, she is an amazing person. Her and I were up till 3 in the morning talking and baking and you are on lucky girl to have her as a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vid. The boys were GREAT we all loved that you were able to be a part of Mom's Celebration. Thank you so much for going to all the trouble of getting it done and Thanks so much to your dad for putting it together for us. We sooooo enjoyed all the effort and time. When I saw it at the party it made me cry because you weren't able to be there in person and I missed having you guys there. Thanks Lianna you're AWESOME and love you too. She was such a big help. Love you and your cute family, Thanks again. hey does it help them eat their vegetables? It should after singing it so many times. he he he

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh. Thanks Lianna. I think I'm a pretty lucky gal to have her. I might keep her around. :)

    Thanks Mom. I am glad we have something like that to keep forever and watch when the boys get bigger. It will be fun to show at their weddings. lol :)

    ReplyDelete