Sunday, August 5, 2012

Italian Zucchini Pie

There are a few reasons I am posting about Zucchini Pie.
  1. I LOVE Zucchini Pie!
  2. It reminds me of my grandma's house when I was younger
  3. My husband LOVES it!
  4. My kids will eat it... 
Whenever my Grandma Pat let me choose what I wanted her to make for dinner when I was little, I would ALWAYS choose Zucchini Pie. My husband is not a fan of zucchini so I have never made it. He told me to stop trying to cater to what I think he will and won't eat and to just make what I want and promised me he would always try it. Well we got some zucchini the other day so I asked my Grandma for her famous recipe. Jeremy tried it and LOVED it! We ate more than half of the pie ourselves! Teagan of course only liked the crust and Tate ate only the filling... so between the two of them, they ate a whole piece.


Here is the recipe if you would like to try it yourself. My grandma got it in Relief Society when she was living in Illinois about 28 years ago and said that it won a $25,000 bake off for a Pillsbury contest.

For crust:   
1 pkg. Pillsbury Cresent Rolls rolled out and pressed into pie plate.
OR 1 unbaked pie crust  (your choice) *I used a pastry crust dough already made from Costco

Press into 10" pie plate
Spread w 2 tsp. mustard *Which I forgot to do now that I'm reading through this again

Pour in filling and bake 18-20 min. at 375 degrees
Use foil to cover edges last 10 min.

Filling
:
4 C sliced Zucchini & 1 C chopped onion......cook and stir in 1/3 c olive oil *I used a little less

While cooking zucchini and onion, add:
4 c chopped parsley or 2 T parsley flakes
1/2  tsp. of salt & pepper
1/4 tsp. of garlic powder, basil, & oregano.

Combine 2 beaten eggs with 2 cup cheese *I used half Mozzarella and half Mexican Cheese blend
Add to above mixture

Pour in filling and bake 18-20 min. at 375 degrees
Use foil to cover edges last 10 min.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I have three huge zucchini's staring at me on my counter and now I know just want to do with them:)

    ReplyDelete